Hello

I run a stable tree system with many unstable packages installed and this
has been causing me much grief with the way portage handles it.
Basically, I cannot do

emerge -uD world

because it will downgrade packages and I cannot do

emerge -uUD world

because it gives the following error message.

****
Calculating world dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "~media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4349"
have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4349" [ebuild])
!!! Problem with ebuild app-games/quake3-1.32b
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.
!!! Depgraph creation failed.
****

I have tried even injecting packages and editing world file and it does
not change the error.  So, currently I am having to select individual
updates and do

emerge -u package1 package2 package3

Is it just me or is portage fundamentally flawed when dealing with a mix
of stable and unstable trees?

Any suggestions much appreciated.