Anthony Floyd wrote:
With all the discussion of mail handling recently, it's perked my
interest in trying to revive the mail system on my test machine,
which I've borked pretty royally.  One thing I've never had a good
handle on is mbox vs maildir.  I sort-of know the differences between
the two, but have no idea about the advantages/disadvantages of
either of them.

mbox = big fat flat file
Pro:Can be easy to administer & move mailboxes if needed
Con:Unfortunately easy to corrupt mail file

maildir = each message is an individual file
Pro:More efficient & less likely to hose big mail file
Con:Lots of files

I think that's a fairly rough list.. ;) We use Postfix/Courier-Imap here with maildir. It's been working a LOT better than the old Postfix/UW-Imap setup, that's for sure.

-Jonathan