Got it working with mailbox protocol now, not sure if was a glitch or bug,
but had to setup a pop3 remote check first, then it would only do mailbox
protocol. Before that it would only put mbox as protocol.
Once I found that I could have changed it in the config file for
gkrellm since I now know what it is saying in there.

Uses this in .gkrellm2/user_config file for local mail using mailbox protocol:

mail mailbox-local MH_mail /home/decibels/Mail/family/cur

Then while kmail is open and checking mail, if email arrives in that folder it
will signal me in Gkrellm.

I have kmail with multiple folders, so the mail gets filtered to the person that
sent it. This mailing list gets a lot of mail so don't want to check it, but like I do
have it setup to check when mail arrives from friends and family while kmail is
open and turned off the remote check. Makes it nice so you don't have to respond
to every email that arrives unless it arrives from a certain person(s).