Collins -  Brett   David

   I have followed the howto at gentoo and all works down to muting.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rick # amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rick #

[EMAIL PROTECTED] rick # ll /dev/sound
   total 0
   drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 .
  drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969

still this way. I did change

The only I modify in /etc/devfsd.conf is
from:
REGISTER        sound/.*     PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER        snd/.*       PERMISSIONS root.audio 660

to:
The only I modify in /etc/devfsd.conf is

REGISTER        sound/.*     PERMISSIONS root.audio 666
REGISTER        snd/.*       PERMISSIONS root.audio 666

rebuilding kernel again right now & will reboot. It does appear that when I got
devfsd to work, the /dev/audio -sound - mixer major/minor is now no longer
present.  Does this now indicate a problem in /dev/sound dir being empty?

cheers Your help is appreciated here many thanks

--
Rick Sivernell
Dallas, Texas  75287

   .~.