On Wednesday 28 May 2003 10:11 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 09:49 am, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 May 2003 09:25, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have followd the 'bughunting tread' and have notist that my
> > > fast writing also is not working, and its enabled !.
> > >
> > > Is this because the host-bridge does not Support fast writing ?
> >
> > yes.
> > Both the card and the AGP-part have to support Fw (or SBA) to be
> > able to enable it.
> >
> > You can not switch something on, that is bot there.
> > Maybe a different bios will help you, maybe newer drivers, maybe
> > nothing.
> >
> > It does not matters.
> > Fw&SBA do not give any noticable speed gains. The differences are
> > in the range of statistical noise.
> >
> > On the other hand, Fw&SBA makes a pretty fine system unusable. Ever
> > heard of lockups? I mean, frequent ones? Hourly?
> >
> > I had that, disabling FW in the bios, killing the options-line..
> > system was back stable. Speed gain? No! Problems? Oh yeah!
> >
> > Don't be worry, you don't miss anything without SBA&Fw.
> >
> > Glück Auf,
> > Volker
> >

> > --
>
> I decided to test whether or not fastwrites made a difference on my
> system. I commented the line:
> #options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
> in /etc/modules.d/nvidia, closed the X session, did:
> # modules-update and restarted X
> a # cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status shows:
> nvidia $ cat agp/status
> Driver:          NVIDIA
> AGP Rate:        4x
> Fast Writes:     Enabled
> SBA:             Enabled
>  What am I missing?

OK a reboot solved that... Now, with fastwrites and side band addressing
off, I get marginally better framerate from glxgears. I know that this
is not a great test but, looking at ut2003-demo, the video looks a bit
smoother.
Framerate with AGPFW and AGPSBA= 3092 F/sec
without= 3121 F/sec
(> 1% improvement)
--
Regards, Ernie