Thomas> I don't think that will work as those proc locations should not exist
Thomas> if you have not loaded those devices using the IDE module.

Of course they are. If your motherboard has an IDE bus, the proc interface
will be there, no matter if you load the ide-scsi modules. That's the beauty
;)

I use that (with the ide-scsi for my burner and ide-cd for my DVD) in my
desktop machine, and it works. I use it too in my laptop DVD/CD-RW combo, and
it works there too. I ask the exact same question some weeks ago, and someone
(sorry, forgot the name and wipe my mail account) give me the right answer.

The /proc IDE interface is there no matter what (I think at least you should
select CONFIG_IDE=y in the kernel config, but I suppose EVERYONE has
that... except those with a only-SCSI interface... but then again, if that's
your case you don't need ide-scsi :))

Canek
--
This life is a test.  It is only a test.  Had this been an actual life, you
would have received further instructions as to what to do and where to go.