On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:02:31 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    Trying to do this right. After updating portage, I have a message
>    about 4
> files that need to be updated. They all start with /etc/._conf.
>
>    It appears that the proper way to do this update is to save the
>    existing
> config files, rename these 4 files to their respective names, and then
> hand edit back in any settings I had made to the earlier files.

Turn on menu support in etc-update by editing the /etc/etc-update.conf
file:
# mode - 0 for text, 1 for menu (support incomplete)
# note that you need dev-util/dialog installed
mode="1"

It uses dialog to generate menus, works for me. There are a couple of
other diff programs out there that you can use in X, but for the
majority of stuff, I review the diffs in an x-session, if
it's something I have modified (postfix configurations, apache configs,
make.conf and so on) I open the existing file, let etc-update update the
file and make the changes right then on the new file as there are
usually some other changes and updates done by the developers.  I tried
the merge feature a couple of times, and haven't figured it out yet.

pavement is precisely 1 bananosecond.