Folks,

I've installed a Gentoo system on what I hope will be my
server here at home.  But when I try to get it to boot I come
up with the following messages:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for linux NET4.0.
DS: no socket drivers loaded
read_super_block: can't find reiserfs file system on (dev
       03:03, block 64, size 1024)
read_super_block: can't find reiserfs file system on (dev
       03:03, block 8, size 1024)
kernel panic: VFS unable to mount rootfs on 03:03

The root file system (/dev/hda1) is formated XFS and when
mounted from the cd the following is seen:

> mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
     XFS mount filesystem ide0(3,3)

My grub.conf file looks like this:

# comments at front of file
default=0
timeout=20
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm/gz

title Gentoo
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 hdd=ide-scsi

# 2nd boot commented out for debugging

The /etc/fstab file shows /dev/hda3 as XFS, but we never get
it mounted to check there, anyway.

I have included many types of file system support (including
XFS, Reiserfs, NTFS, DOS, etc.) in the kernel build, because
I want to be able to access all disk types with this system.

If anyone can shed some light on why it is trying to mount
this XFS file system as reiserfs I'd sure appreciate it.

In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,

Tom  ;-})

Tom. Condon
Barbershop Bass Singer