--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:57:43AM +0100, Nuno Jos? Mendes F. Caseiro - ESA=
/IPCB wrote:
>    it's possible to install Gentoo without net conection? How? What are
>    the steps i've to do?
Basically, the only reason gentoo has to see the net is to build the
portage tree and retrieve packages.  Since the portage tree is platform
independant, all you need is some kind person to burn their /usr/portage
directory onto a cd.  You could then mount the cd as /usr/portage and be
good to go.  You would also have to be sure that the
/usr/portage/distfiles directory had all of the packages you wanted to
install.  If gentoo sees the package in that directory, it doesn't even
attempt to connect.  So, basically, you somehow need to prepopulate the
/usr/portage area to perform a netless install.

>    Another question i've managed to compile the kernel following the
>    steps on the install doc. The problem is my ethernet card doesent' "go
>    up". i follow everything, i suppose i do all the kern congig ok but
>    don=B4t know what seems to be the prob. Any sugestion?
I would think to look at the output of 'lsmod' to check if the proper
NIC module is getting loaded (unless, of course, you compiled it into
the kernel).  When you try to bring up the NIC, do you see any errors in
/var/log/messages?

    -Mike Arrison

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--