Thanks,

I looked in /etc/make.conf and the default setting was
incorrect for my system.  Once gave it the correct
value for an AMD k6-3, it compiled without a problem.

Original
#CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

Correct
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"

This was all clearly commented in the file, of course.

I did not have to lower the optimzation level.

--- Xavier Álvarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Hello
>
>       I have a 400 MHz K6-2 and i have the same problem
> last week. The glib
> compitalion crashes, then  try to use stage3 and it
> works. After i
> install the system base, when i try to install a
> desktop enviroment
> (Gnome) the qt library compilation crashes.
>       I was using the make.conf settings listed above:
>
>       CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
>       CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>       CXXFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -O3 -pipe
> -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
>       I read somewhere that libraries have problems with
> high levels of
> optimization so i try to build the qt library whit
> this settings
>
>       CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
>       CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>       CXXFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -O2 -pipe
> -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
>       I think this must be usefull, but i can be in a
> trouble.
>
>       Greetings
>
>               Xavier
>

> O Ven, 2003-05-30 ás 21:06, George Dowding
> escribiu:
> > I have a new installation.  I was unable to do a
> level
> > one installation because glibc failed to compile.
> Now
> > I have X running and the 2.59 linux kernel.  When
> > try to open a terminal I get a message that there
> may
> > be a problem with Unix98 ptys.  I have tried all
> > permutation relating to Unix98 pty options in the
> > kernel with no results.  I am trying to recompile
> > glibc to see if that fixes the problem.
> >

> --
> Xavier Ãlvarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

=====