On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:27:46AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    At $14.95 for Quake Platinum Edition at Fry's today, I was thinking about
> getting a copy for my son to keep him busy for the summer. (Or part of it
> anyway.) What is the status of playing any Windows games under Gentoo Linux?
> Is there a good site for finding out about this sort of stuff?

Pretty much any id game (q1, q2, q3) work fine, just download the update
from ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux (I think) and install that,
then copy the pak0.pk3 off of the windows CD into the
/usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3 directory on your hard drive (default
install location).

Similar setups exist for return to castle wolfenstein, enemey territory
(RTCW spin off just released)....  If there isn't a linux port or
update, you can try it under wine.  I play Half life and it's expansion
packs (opposing force and blue shift) under winex-cvs just perfectly.
At http://winehq.com you can find other windows apps and how well they
work.  WineX is from transgaming, and you can find a list of games that
work with their wine fork here:
http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?keywords=&search=Search&working=0&order=working

Most of the gaming under linux requires a decent video card (nvidia or
ATI... I've had no problems with my nvidias, no idea how ATIs are)
though.

Other websites for linux gaming are:
http://happypenguin.org
http://www.linuxgames.com/