On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 05:01:19PM -0400, Kirtis Bakalarczyk wrote:
> > Here's a (short) snippet from my errors:
> >
> > modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/kbd
> > modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/video
> > modprobe: Can't locate module video* which is needed for /dev/video*
>
> I had this exact same problem but it fixed itself.  I love it when
> they do that. ;)

For archiving purposes only, so when someone searches the archives in
a couple of years after being bit by this, they can also find the
answer... :)

After digging around a bit, I found that the errors stems from the
/etc/security/console.perms file. When I tried to login at the
console, pam tried to change the permissions on a bunch of devices
that I didn't have, thus making devfs try to load them dynamically,
but as I didn't even have them as modules, modprobe didn't find
anything.

I guess the fix is to redirect pam error logging from the console to
some /var/log/ file, but in case something more sinister is happening,
I made a (minor) bug report on bugzilla about it...

Hope this helps someone,
//H

--
To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.