I want to follow up on an earlier message of mine in case anyone has similar issues, or can enlighten me...

There was a problem a while back where you couldn't load 'input' because of a
modutils problem. It has been fixed though.

Can you 'insmod input' ?
I dont' use usbmouse, but can you modprobe or insmod 'mousedev' ?

I can't insmod either one. I just emerged modutils to see if that would help; it was already up to date.

There are lots of USB options in my kernel config that aren't enabled. In fact, as I look at it, that could be the problem. Does "make menuconfig" output to the file arch/XXX/defconfig? I'm seeing things disabled in that file that I've enabled in configuration... I'll tinker with that file when I get a chance and see if it helps.

My USB mouse works now (thanks to those who helped) ... but no thanks to 'make menuconfig' which apparently did not correctly modify the config file. When I went in and changed a few settings in arch/i386/defconfig, I was able to insmod usb-uhci, which I hadn't been able to do before, and now the mouse works. Are there known issues like this with the menu-driven config or am I just being dense (wouldn't be the first time)? :)

--
Q -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://www.quealy.org
GPG:  pgp.mit.edu, ID 0xFCCBDDBD