On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 09:24:00AM -0400, Mike Arrison wrote:
> Gentooers,
>     Anybody else see this recently?
>
> !!! ERROR: dev-php/php-4.3.2 failed.
> !!! Function php_src_compile, Line 211, Exitcode 1
> !!! You need a virtual/mta that provides /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
>     My /var/cache/edb/virtuals contains an mta line as follows:
>
> virtual/mta net-mail/nbsmtp net-mail/ssmtp
>
>     Don't tell me that php _needs_ sendmail in particular.
It doesn't.
/usr/bin/sendmail is NOT the same as the Sendmail package.

/usr/bin/sendmail is a generic program that is can be used from the
commandline to send emails. ALL virtual/mta packages should provide it.
If they don't, then they are broken. I personally know that both
Sendmail and Qmail ebuilds do provide it (I have confirmed it myself I
mean). If somebody could point out a virtual/mta that doesn't then we
will see about getting it fixed.

The check originated because of some people that had custom MTA
installs, and forgot to create a symlink for /usr/bin/sendmail, and
then wondered why the PHP compile was failing.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : [EMAIL PROTECTED]