On Saturday 07 June 2003 10:53 pm, William F Pearson III wrote:

> | I had the same situation (with unneede SuSE and lack of space). I have
> | made following steps:
> |
> | 1. mkreiserfs /dev/_susepartition_
> | 2. mount it somewhere (/mnt/data would be OK)
> | 3. move /usr/portage dir to it
> | 4. edit make.conf and changed PORTDIR to /mnt/data/portage and
> | PORTAGE_TMP_DIR to /mnt/data/portagetmp (don't forget to create last)
> | 5. added mount point to /mnt/data to fstab
> |
> | That's all.
> |
> | Best regards,
> | Andrew.
> |
> | --
>
> I'd like to add that I did the same thing with my redhat partition some
> months ago. I used the free space for /var by booting to the minimal
> install cd and making the new filesystem on my old rh partition, then
> moving everything in /var over to my new partition. Then i edited fstab
> to mount my new partition at /var. If you need more verbose instructions
> than this, just ask.

Thank you so much for your input! I tried first Andrew's version, but noticed
that emerge didn't work any longer. So, I moved the portage directory back to
its original place, reversed everything in /ect/make.conf, moved the entire
/usr tree to my big empty partition, and created a s-link at the original
place instead. So far everything works great. Please don't tell me I won't be
able to reboot! ;-)

--
Best regards,
Klaus