Can anyone explain this anomaly? It seems that emerge -up world (even with
--deep) is not suggesting upgrades that should be performed, for example:

hp root # emerge -s kde

(trimmed for brevity)

*  kde-base/kde
      Latest version available: 3.1.2
      Latest version installed: 3.1.1
      Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kde.org/
kde-base/* packages

hp root # emerge -up world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!

hp root # emerge -up --deep world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5 [2.4.20-r2]

hp root #

My make.conf contains: (comments trimmed)

USE="acl acpi alsa cdr dga doc dvd fbcon flash gd gnome gphoto2 gtk2 jikes
mbox mozilla mysql nocardbus oav pda perl pic postgres sse tiff zlib"

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=athlon-tbird -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer
-funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

FEATURES="sandbox buildpkg ccache distcc userpriv usersandbox noclean noauto
cvs keeptemp fixpackages"

--

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.