On June 12, 2003 11:01 am, Gwendolyn van der Linden wrote:
> > anyone had this problem before?  in my fstab i have this:
> >
> >   //jaysdell/mp3  /mnt/jay  smbfs  user,rw,guest,uid=500  0 0

> What did you put in your default runlevel: netmount, nfsmount?  I
> don't know the details, but you might look at that.  If I recall well
> Gentoo mounts only certain parts from your fstab, depending on the
> runlevel config.
>
> Also, what is the mode for /mnt/jay?  Is it 777, or more restricted?
> If so, that might explain why it won't mount manually as a user.

i'm thinking that it won't let a regular user mount the share because of the
"uid=500" bit in the fstab file...  i suppose that's ok.  as for it not
mounting at boot time though, that's the weird part.  i have the following in
/etc/runlevels/default/:

        cupsd
        hdparm
        local
        net.eth0
        netmount
        numlock
        portmap
        samba
        sshd
        sysklogd
        vcron
        vmware
        xdm

and a quick look into netmount shows me that it just mounts all filesystems in
fstab of type "coda,nfs,ncpfs,smbfs" as long as portmap is started:

        start() {
                local rcfilesystems=""

                # Only try to mount NFS filesystems if portmap was started.
                # This is to fix "hang" problems for new users who do not
                # add portmap to the default runlevel.
                if [ -L ${svcdir}/started/portmap ]
                then
                        rcfilesystems="coda,nfs,ncpfs,smbfs"
                else
                        rcfilesystems="coda,ncpfs,smbfs"
                fi

                ebegin "Mounting network filesystems"
                mount -at ${rcfilesystems} >/dev/null

                if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
                then
                        ewend 1 "Could not mount all network filesystems!"
                else
                        eend 0
                fi

               return 0
        }

so here's the kooky part:  i decided to run the /etc/init.d/netmount
restart... and it all worked fine.  it's just during boot that it seems to be
dying.

--
one dissident anywhere is a threat to tyrants everywhere
        - ken larsen