I'm not too sure about partitions but maybe the problem lies with how many primary or secondary partitions you have. I think bios limits primary to 4.

Why not try reinstalling without the boot partition and just have one root partition.

I dont think you can get any kernel messages as it is unable to mount the partition. The only information you get is on the screen.

Sorry that I couldnt help more.

ken