I'm having an odd problem:  I run postfix-1.1.11-r5, having not yet made
the time to switch to the 2.0.x series.  Whenever I "emerge sync" I add
">net-mail/postfix-1.1.11-r5" to the top of
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask, and then do the normal "emerge -pu
world".

But a couple days ago, this procedure failed with:

Calculating world dependencies -
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "virtual/mta" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "dev-php/mod_php-4.3.2" [ebuild])

!!! Problem with ebuild dev-php/mod_php-4.3.2
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.

--------
Clearly, I have a package that satisfies virtual/mta.  I don't know if
this is caused by the new version of portage, overzealous depend
requirements in the mod_php ebuild, or the fact that my version of
postfix is no longer even in portage.

Any ideas?

Joel T. Osburn