On June 13, 2003 02:22 pm, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> In September I start to write a paper for my degree in IT, its about
> migration a company from Windows to Opensource (Linux) and perhaps i can do
> it one day in the real live also :-).
>
> I have already the "why migrate", prices, the programs, TOC and so on. I
> just have to write the white paper for how to do the actual migration. Is
> here anyone on the list who has done this in the 'real live' and is willing
> to share his experiance and perhaps his white paper with me? This would
> help me a lot.

it really depends on the type of machine you're converting over.  a desktop
box is easy, copy your email and other important data files (not programs) to
a backup device, put in the gentoo cd and reboot.

a server setup is considerably different 'cause there's so much else involved.
there's user accounts, locking down ports with a firewall, setting up quotas
(if you want to) and of course configuring all of the services. (apache,
sendmail etc).

you also have to worry about the technologies that were used on the micros~1
box.  did the sites use asp?  or how 'bout some sort of crackt-out .net
setup?  or frontpage extensions?  if it's a webserver, you have to worry
about all of this, and either install substitutes (asp is available under
linux using something from chilisoft i believe). and ximian has released some
software to help linux machines talk to a microsoft exchange server etc (i'm
not too clear on that one).

so in short
  server:
        backup
        security
        software
        restore accounts and compensate for software changes
                with either substitutions or redesign.

  workstation
        backup
        install, restore
        retrain the staff to use the new stuff.

did i miss anything?

--
laws are like spider webs.  if some poor weak creature comes up against them
-- it is caught.  but the bigger one can break through and get away.