I'm afraid specifying modelines isn't much help. If I do for 8bpp I get
to scroll through the different resolutions. If I do for 16bpp I only
get to scroll (<ctrl><alt><Numpad plus> through 640x480.

No, I've configured X on three other boxes by editing the XF86Config
file and this thing has me befuddled. It isn't terribly good that I have
to boot into the development kernel to get agpgart to work for the
i855gm, where unfortunately my onboard ethernet driver is
non-functional. Too many fronts in this war.

I know it's capable because the log file lists a bunch of different
possible modes, like this:

*Mode: 30 (640x480)
        XResolution: 640
        YResolution: 480