On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Jens Hoffrichter wrote:

Hi folks,

I have just installed a fresh 1.4 RC3, just emerged X and gnome and trying
to login via gdm.

I have added a local user "jh" using the "adduser" command, created the
homedir of the user and tested login on the console, it works fine.

If I now want to log in to X via gdm, I just get the error message "your
X session has lasted less than 10 seconds [...] View details". In the details
files are only the following 2 lines:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 jh

and nothing more. After I hit "OK", gdm restarts an re-presents me the
login screen.

Login via gdm using root works fine, gnome starts up normally.
Starting X as "jh" via "startx /usr/bin/gnome-session" works equally fine.

And stracing gdm doesn't work, then gdm simply hangs after typing in the
username.

Has anyone a clue where to look for a resolution?

Regards,
Jens
-- GPG: 1024D/CF884D50 F2E8 F7FC F823 6464 4E9D EFAB 6EE9 8B9C CF88 4D50