> Hi, just to answer your question you are not totaly alone. For some
> reason, one of my computers (the laptop) reacts the same way whenever
> I am doing an updatedb or copying a large file from one disk to
> another. I am then left with 4M of ram out of 512M. I do not
> understand why, and have been looking for solutions in the kernel (the
> newer kernels have a memory limit option (it's in the GRsecurity
> patch), but have not been successful). What strikes me is that only
> the laptop behaves this way although it has about the same specs as
> my desktop (Laptop : P4B 1.7, 512 M Ram, Desktop : P4B2.4, 1G Ram). If
> anyone knows why...
>
> Jonathan

Hmmmm.. very interesting, the system in question is also a laptop.  I
basically moved slocate to cron.weekly, but this isn't much of a fix to
the problem.  If I ever figure it out I will post a message to the list.
I don't think it is kernel related however as I am using the same kernel
as I was previous to my update and I don't recall this behavior.. and I
would definitely have noticed!

Cheers,

Jason