On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:01:02 +0200
CrPy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi ng,
>
> sorry, but I think you don't get the problem. Type
> sleep 1000000h <Enter>
> in your shell. And now don't kill it or stop it. Now imagine that you actually
>
> forgot what you really wanted: To halt the machine after the program (that
> already runs and may be it will need to run for some hours because it is a
> compile process or similar). And imagine that you don't want to sit all the
> time behind your computer and wait until the program finishes to be able to
> halt the computer. So, what I want is, to append to the aready running
> command line a new command without stopping the old (because then it would
> have to start it from the beginning). I think, it would be ok to suspend the
> running program temporarily and to resume it after a short time where I
> append the additional command to it.
>
> After all it should look like i never executed
> sleep 1000000h
> but
> sleep 1000000h; halt

> fg; halt
>
> But what if I have a longer queue of commands and I like to edit the command
> line.
>
> e.g.
> make clean && make dep && make bzImage && make module && make modules_install
>
> And now I see that I have a typo in the line (the make module -> make
> modules). How can I change the entered command line while excuting this
> command line?
>
> Sorry, it was not easy for me to explain it in a way that somebody else could
> understand it. Maybe it is more clear now.
>
> THX
>
> /CrPy

If I understand correctly, all you have to do is type the command.
The terminal will still accept input and should run the command after the first
has run.
If you do notice an error (as in your example), the command will terminate
where ever you had your typo.
So in your example, just type in the rest of your command again  properly
starting with:
make modules && make modules_install
Then, when the first part terminates with the error, the next section will
proceed.

It is however some times difficult to type if you have output from your
job/process spilling on your screen.  The shell is still capturing your
characters however.
(Try cat some_long_file and then type logout/ls/pwd... as it is scrolling by)

--
Robert Kruus --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
What we know is not much. What we do not know is immense.