I saw a option someplace that stated how much HD space (max) would be consumed, and that was set to 2G, so yes there could be many files in there, seeing as the Kernel is <30megs...

Bjorn Sodergren wrote:

I was thinking about this a while ago, and currently the /distfiles/
repository has around 10,000 files. Wouldn't it be a good idea to start
thinking about re-organizing it? Right now the apache generated HTML = file
is over 2 megs!=20

One thing I was thinking would be to place packages in their portage
catagories.

For instance, all of the kernel packages (linux-2.x.y.tar.bz2's) will go
into=20 /sys-kernel/

All of the files that the kde ebuilds call for would go in=20 /kde-base/
        =20
Any patches for programs could go into either

/patches/sys-kernel  (I think this is a prefered method)
Or=20
/sys-kernel/patches=20

A couple of obvious problems would be the re-organizing files, but that could be scripted seemingly easily. The problem would be propogating it = to the rest of the distfiles servers. I wouldn't think the ebuilds = themselves would be a problem. You would just need to change

SRC_URI=3D"mirror://gentoo/${P}.tbz2" to
SRC_URI=3D"mirror://gentoo/${CATEGORY}/${P}.tbz2"

In any ebuilds that download packages from a distfiles mirror (I've =
noticed items like the kernel sources don't)

Anyone else have any pros/cons to such a task?