Another show stopper is the 68LC40's (or was it 680LC40?). They not only
didn't have an FPU but some were b0rked and you couldn't use FPU emulation on
them. A lot of the lower end '040 based Macs used them. Not sure about other
680x0 based systems.

The 68LC040 is a problem, but the beauty of Gentoo is that you can compile everything using a "FP math library" in place of the hardware FPU instructions, if you need to. Software FP math is also much faster than an emulated "hardware" FPU, on most hardware, so this is of benefit to all FPU-less machines, not just the b0rked ones.

Don't ask me about the specifics of this, it's something I've never had to do under Linux. It does work just fine using the regular MacOS compilers - there weren't all that many 68k Macs that came with FPUs as standard, so almost all applications were compiled with software FP math - and these worked just fine on the 'LC040.

FWIW, I have access to a couple of old Macs with the 68LC040 in them, but it might be hard to get them in a working state (from a hardware perspective, those machines have been *abused*, and they are also very short of RAM and disk space). I also have a full 68040 and a 68030/68881 combo, which work properly, though the latter is also exceedingly short of RAM and disk.