begin  quote
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:52:58 -0400
"Zachary P. Landau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll give it a try, but I don't think it is that.  I copied the gentoo
> installation cd's kernel over the one I had, and then used my same
> grub setup to boot the computer (ie: I didn't boot from the CD) and it
> worked fine.

perhaps you should try:
cd /usr/src/linux
cat /proc/config >.config
make oldconfig   (just hold down return, that selects defaults.)
make dep && make -j4  modules bzImage  modules_install
mount  /boot
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/testkernel && sync &&  umount /boot
cat << EOF > ~/add_to_grub
title=Testkernel panicmode
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/testkernel root=/dev/hda3 init=/bin/sash
EOF

this should make a new panic-mode bootable in your system, if that
works, start tweaking from there :)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!