so is +gtk required in the USE variable to get the GUI client?

and what about gkrellm. i have the 2.1.10 version installed, but a
'emerge -pv gkrellm' shows '[ebuild R ] app-admin/gkrellm-2.1.10 -gtk
-gtk2 +nls'. do i need to change USE to '+gtk +gnome +kde +qt' to be
able to really use packages in one environment that were written for
the other? i guess that wouldn't be such a big deal, but that really
makes me wonder about why there's a USE variable to begin with...

so, do i need to change '-gtk -gnome +kde +qt' to '+gtk +gnome +kde
+qt' to get this stuff to work correctly.