The install starts off well but sits at the 'CDIMAGE' bar for over 15
minutes before I give up hope and reboot the laptop.
Is it worth me waiting longer or is there some trick to getting Gentoo
1.4rc4 to install on a laptop reliably?
I should note that the install find the laptops NIC fine and assigns an
IP from the DHCP server, it finds the USB bus  but just never makes it
past the 'cdimage root #' bar that makes it all the way across the
screen and just sits there appears to be doing things (the 'spinner' at
the end of the bar goes round and round) but nothing else ever happens.

...or am I just too impatient? I want to have Linux on this laptop but
don't want ot have to go back to Mandrake after running Gentoo on my
dekstop PC and seeing just how fast it is!