On Sunday 29 June 2003 04:31, Zack Gilburd wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2003 08:36 am, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Previously hdparm (-Tt) 5.3 gave me results of 752/41.  Today I
> > upgraded to hdparm 5.4 and I get the following results!
> >
> > $ hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> >   Timing buffer-cache reads:   2912 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1454.55
> > MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  120 MB in  3.01 seconds =
> > 39.91 MB/sec
> >
> > Is it telling the truth or am I seeing things?  If this is true
> > then my hard drive has become twice as fast within the time it took
> > to perform the upgrade.
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> I can almost garuntee you that your disks are not doing buffer-cache
> reads at 1.42 gigabytes per second (as the output reads).  Your disk
> reads look normal, though.

Buffer reads are not from disks, but from memory buffers. And many
machines can move memory content from place A to place B at that pace.
For example my memory bandwidth execeeds the bandwidth of my FSB, which
is 610 MHz and thus provides healthy theoretical bandwidth of 4.8GB/s.
The memory have theoretical bandwidth of about 6.2 GB/s as I have DUAL
channel DDR memory clocked as 390 MHz.

The fact that the result changed to twice as fast in the later version
of the hdparm is most likely a case of new test code, which does less
CPU work per transfered (read copied) byte.