On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:52:25PM +0000, Larry Wright wrote:
> I have a laptop with a wpc11 linksys card installed. I have emerged pcmcia-cs
> and linux-wlan-ng, and recompiled my kernel based on the instructions in the
> end of teh output from emerging pcmcia-cs, but I'm not quite sure what to do
> next. Can anyone give me some pointers?

You'll need to setup /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts with the settings for
your wireless network. for example, mine looks like this:

*,*,*,00:06:25:*)
  INFO="Instant Wireless Network PC Card"
  #ESSID="rit"
  ESSID="any"
  MODE="Ad-Hoc"
  RATE="auto"
  FREQ="2"
;;

then setup network.opts with your network settings

You may have to add an entry to your /etc/pcmcia/config file. I know I
had to for the same card. I added this:

card "Linksys WPC11 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card"
   version "The Linksys Group, Inc.", "Instant Wireless Network PC
   Card", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
   bind "orinoco_cs"

But yours may be slightly different. Now run /etc/init.d/pcmcia start or
do rc-update add pcmcia default.  You should hear a click or a beep.  If
not, try removing your card and then putting it back in.  Then type
ifconfig to see if it brought up your network. Or emerge 'wavemon' to
see if you are getting a wireless signal.

Check the log files if there is a problem.  Good luck.

--
Zachary P. Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | http://kapheine.hypa.net/kapheine.asc