Are you sure you have a duel head graphics card in your laptop.
I think many/most? laptops let you connect up to an external monitor,
but usually it will just switch your display over to the external
monitor.

If you know it is a duel head card then this howto might help..
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

if not but you still want to use the flatscreen because it's
better/crisper.. You can normally reboot with the display connected and
the graphics card will realise and output to the flatscreen. On my
laptop I have function buttons to switch over from lcd/vga but I have
never got those working under linux and since I never let my machine
boot window I havn't tested them either, never the less it may be
possible if you have such buttons to get them to work. (I dont know if
there is any kind of standard for this though so it may coprise of kernel
patches that are specific to you laptop or somthing.)

Rob