ICC can produce faster code, but it won't always... It tends to be about
5% faster on my own
path tracer.  One thing to note is that there are several compiler options
for optimization.  There are things like global interprocedural opts, even
interfile opts, and you can also compile using statistics from previous
runs (to aid branch prediction, etc...).

I would say that most of the time, ICC produces slightly faster code.  My
argument is that GCC can do things from the C++ standard that ICC cannot,
like partial template specialization.

 Brian