On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:42 pm, drewbian wrote to gentoo-user:

> > After looking through the huge array of optimizations people have posted
> > on the discussion forum's I'm rather confused as to what the hey to put
> > in there. Particularly as most posters seem to use Pent 4's or Athlon
> > XP's,
> >
> > Also would -march=athlon be the most suitable for a Duron 1.3?

I understand that Morgan-core Durons (the >1GHz ones I believe) are just
Athlon-XP's with less cache, so you can use -march=athlon-xp which will be
(slightly) faster.

My CFLAGS for an Athlon XP 1800+ are:

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -mcpu=athlon-xp -m3dnow -mmmx -msse
-mfpmath=sse,387 -finline-functions -fmerge-all-constants -fthread-jumps
-fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math -fforce-addr
-falign-functions=64 -falign-jumps=4 -falign-loops=4 -frerun-cse-after-loop
-frerun-loop-opt -fprefetch-loop-arrays -maccumulate-outgoing-args"

Which contains some duplications but _seems_ to work perfectly. Note this will
probably make people cry "Are you crazy and/or stupid!?" and developers will
likely refuse to do troubleshooting on any problems you may have.

-Eric
--
I know it all.  I just can't remember it all at once.