I hate alsa, but that's now the only way to fly.

Well, I have my 2.5.74 kernel up and running.  Now what about alsa?

I've followed the releveant portions (alsa drivers are now in the
kernel) of the alsa documentation:

1) Updated /etc/modules.d/alsa with seemingly correct stuff
2) modules-update

However, at boot I get the following

Jul  4 14:41:55 richeypc3 kernel: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
Driver Versi on 0.9.4 (Mon Jun 09 12:01:18 2003 UTC).
Jul  4 14:41:55 richeypc3 kernel: specify port
Jul  4 14:41:55 richeypc3 kernel: ALSA device list:
Jul  4 14:41:55 richeypc3 kernel:   No soundcards found.

And, of course, devfs doesn't build the /dev/xxx for sound.

modprobe snd_ens1371 works just fine, but it's useless without the
/dev/xxx entries.

What do I need to do to get the sound card loaded during boot so that
devfs will do the right thing.

Sigh, on 2.4.20 with OSS drivers I didn't need to do anything, and
sound just worked.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the