Greetings and salutations
I have just done a fresh install of gentoo. the problem is the initscript do not start the system.
the kernel boots and just hangs at.
freeing unused kernel memory: 64k Freed
there is no kernel panic or noticable errors note: the root fs gets mounted.
at this point the system is running. I just dont get a login shell and no init scripts execute.

FYI
I used a chrooted enviroment to do the installation. I did everything described in the installtion manual except run /sbin/lilo cause the HD was in another computer, so I am booting off a floppy < the kernel boots and does need any modules to start the system.>
also installed these before bootup < dont think these makes a difference >

emerge ftp
emerge samba
emerge nfs-utils
emerge mp3blaster

when is tempfs needed? I am not sure I compiled that in, the reason is I could not find it in the kernel compilation menu thingy. is it called ramfs?

could this be the problem is /dev/shm the device ? because that exists and works ( so that is probably not it )
I am using 2.4.21 kernel and was able to use it to boot the system with the extracted stage1_1.4_rc4.tar.bz2 on the root fs.

any hints?
what is the boot process?  what files need to be there?
init.d and inittab seem to be ok.
/sbin/init exists

thanks in advance

Mark