On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:05:27 -0500
"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sami Näätänen wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 July 2003 16:35, . wrote:
> >
> >>I have my system pretty well hosed now.  None of my modules in
> >>/etc/modules.autoload are loading at boot up, and modprobe-ing them
> >>failes too.
> >>
> >># modprobe ide-scsi
> >>/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o:
> >>unresolved symbol preempt_schedule

> > Most likely you have rebuild your kernel and forget to rebuild or
> > install the modules.
> >

> Done the following repeatedly:
>

> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
> reboot

Should be ok, if you are using grub; if it's lilo, did you rerun lilo
before boot?

Second thought.  This sequence works better depending on the changes you
made to the config.

copy your .config somewhere safe
make mrproper
copy your .config back from somewhere safe
make menuconfig (load and save)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
reboot

Worth a try, anyway.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the