Sean,

> I had a similar issue.  Typically, my notebook is connected to a dhcp
> network and when I am travelling, like on the train or plane, I do
> not want to use dhcp because it has to time out and the configuration
> will fail.  When I am travelling, I just set the network connection
> to a fixed ethernet address.
>
> To solve the problem, I have written a startup script called
> netconfig, which I put in /etc/init.d.  The script uses an
> environment variable; NetConfig, and files called, net-DEFAULT, and
> net-<config>, located in /etc/conf.d.  The files are copies of net
> modified for different configurations, i.e. a DHCP configuration and
> a fixed IP configuration.

Thank you!!!  This solved a problem I was facing.  I have to connect my test
laptop to the rack it has to test -- an isolated network with dedicated IPs
-- or to the internet (for Gentoo updates) via the local navy network with
DHCP.  Now I can do either.

As a side bonus, I learned a lot about the /etc/conf.d and /etc/init.d
contents and functionality.  Useful as a tool and a learning experience!
How wonderful is that?!?

OK, too many exclamation points -- back to normal mode.

Thanks again.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon