Which modem is it ? You should check at : http://forums.gentoo.org/

> 2) which stage should i use is it 1 then 2 or 2 or 3

Depends on what you want but it's better to start from stage 1 whiwh will compile
Gentoo for your architecture instead of installing pre-compiled binaries.

Follow this how to for more informations and steps to follow during installation
process : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

> 3) will gentoo d/l the files i need to build my system like all of KDE and
> Firebird for an example

It's the main thing of Gentoo .... online installation