On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:23:41 -0700, Zack Gilburd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Saturday 12 July 2003 04:11 pm, Klaus D. Neumann wrote:
Hi,

Could anyone please give me a hint how to configure a win98 box behind a
gentoo router? Just replaced Dad's broken WinXP box with a brandnew
computer where I installed win98 for him. Using my Gentoo box as router it
worked perfectly with Dad's old computer. Now I can ping between gentoo and
win98, I can manage Dad's files from my Gentoo box (samba) can print from
Gentoo to his printer, but his win98 can't get an internet connection. What
did I miss? Must be something on the win98 side, since I did not change
anything on my Gentoo box. TIA!

It depends on whether or not the box is broadcasting via DHCP.
eth0(to internet) is a dhcp. Does this count?

If the box is broadcasting, no extra configuration is needed. If the box is not broadcasting, you need to give the win98 box a static IP (just pick one that's not in use) and make the gateway the Gentoo box's IP.

I gave win98 the address 192.168.1.2, the gentoo gateway is 192.168.1.2

For the DNS settings, that depends on whether or not the Gentoo box is running a daemon like bind.

Couldn't find any bind in my process table.

Oh sh... ! Now I screwed up the win98 configuration completely. Not even ping works any more.
Can we get it from the begining? The following network components are installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
TCP/IP
File and printer sharing for MS networks

Is this correct so far?

--
Best regards,
Klaus