Hi!

I guess this is not a Gentoo problem but I'm using Gentoo at the moment
and this seemed like the right forum to present my problem.

The error occurs when doing 'emerge rsync' or putting files to a remote
site over ftp. The error occurs only when I have a dialup
ppp-connection.  Everything works fine when connected through ethernet.
The same error occurs with ftp using different clients. The last one I
used was python's ftplib. I thought that I would possibly find the error
that way. No success...

The only thing that I can notice that everything concerning the net just
halts. Route command gives the following before and after. I guess
something weird is going on with the name resolution.

Before:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
21e0.yhteys.mtv *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
loopback        localhost       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo
default         21e0.yhteys.mtv 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

After:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
62.236.224.33   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
loopback        localhost       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo
default         62.236.224.33   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

Any help is appreciated.

- Niklas

--
Niklas Koponen   | Hietapellontie 3 B 7 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+358 40 757 1459 | 02400 KIRKKONUMMI    | http://www.iki.fi/niklas.koponen