On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:34:47PM -0400, wes chow wrote:

> > This doesn't exactly answer the question you're asking, but do you know
> > about virtual IP addresses? You can assign as many addresses as you
> > want to a single card, and achieve with one card what you're trying to
> > do with two.
>
> Yeah, the reason why I want two network cards is because this machine is a
> data server.  The limiting factor is the 100Mbs bandwidth, so I thought
> I'd just plop in another ethernet card.  Clients connecting to the machine
> would just randomly pick one of the two IP addresses to connect to.
If you really want to increase bandwidth like that, have a switch that
supports trunking/link-aggregation, and use the bonding driver in linux.
I have 3 gigabit ethernet cards bonded together attached to a D-Link
switch for high throughput. This then becomes totally oblivious of the
IP address, as it appears as a single system, and also adds failover
redundancy as a bonus.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : [EMAIL PROTECTED]