In about a week I will finally be upgrading my old PIII-500 to a nice
new AMD Athlon 2.5 ghz.

Unfortunately, my gentoo system is compiled completely with
march=pentium3.  Does this mean that nothing will work on my new
athlon with it's different instruction set?

If this is the case, I suppose I can do an 'emerge -e world' with
some safe optimizations that will work on both AMD and Pentium
processors, that way I can safely tranfer the system.  What would be
an architecture setting that is understandable by both CPU's?
something like march=i686?

Is this the best way of going about it? I'm really not looking forward
to doing an 'emerge -e world' on my slow P500.  Is there a better way?

--
Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

GnuPG Key:   42128603
Fingerprint: 6AF7 BB45 ABEE 9A33 9F9C