Alle 12:48, luned́ 21 luglio 2003, MAL ha scritto:

> Faulty memory/overheating CPU
>
> You PC is, no doubt, not used to 6 hours of running at 100% CPU usage :)

Mmmm...perhaps you're right. Honestly I didn't think to overheating probs. But
it sounds quite strange. Fan only starts when the temperature goes too high
and in all compiling process it starts very rarely. I've also used it under
freebsd and debian without problems and in more onerous conditions.
However I will  observe the temperature of the processor in order to remove
every doubt.
I'd want also to investigate about architecture setting in make.conf. In AMD
site it seems obvious that my processor (AMD k6 -3D @ 475 mhz) is a K6-2, but
I haven't found references about architecture. I remember that when I
bought it, in the reviews not all agree to classify the
K6-2 like equivalent to a pentium 2, even if AMD sponsored it in
this way. For someone, it was still be a 586 class processor.
Therefore I'll retry to compile all stage1 changing architecture setting from
686 to 586.
It would be interesting find indications on the
GCC site, but I didn't find nothing.
Does anyone with a presario as mine
has happily installed Gentoo from stage1?
Thanks however of the
precious suggestions
-
stefano