>   I set up a GENTOO box for a friend of mine (it's his first Linux
>   experience and he is really happy with it) recently.
>
>   The box in question has a rather old, small and slow harddrive that he
>   wants to exchange in the near future.
>
>   Is it possible, and if so, how, to copy the existing GENTOO installation
>   to the new harddrive?
>
>   TIA,
> Sebastian

I did this not long ago and it worked great. The procedure I followed
was to connect both hard drives, then boot off the install cd.
I fdisked the new drive.
I then mounted each of the old partitions under /old and each of the new
partitions under /new.
Then I ran this command to copy the files:

rsync -a --progress /old/ /new

Then I switched cables so the old drive was now hda, booted from the CD
and ran grub on hd0. It booted right up from the new drive after that.

--
Chris Bare
[EMAIL PROTECTED]