Bill Spears wrote:
> #ifconfig eth0 up
> returns
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>
> My context is:
>   A laptop with pcmcia support not set in kernel and emerge pcmcia-cs
> done.
>   lsmod shows all the basic stuff:
>     ds, pcmcia_core, i82365, xirc2ps_cs
>     oddly, xirc2ps_cs is shown as 'unused'
>  When booting, cardmgr is starting, but fails to bring up eth0.
>
>   History is:
>     Had it all working with previous kernel.  Redid kernel to kill acpi
> and add apm, also unset smp. {{may have inadvertently done something
> fatal?}}
>     Although, I don't understand why, I did: emerge pcmcia-cs again.
>
> Any ideas?

What kind of network card do you have? If it based on the Realtek 8139
chip, take a look at
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56473&highlight=8139too

In that case you probably have to use the kernel pcmcia support and not
pcmcia-cs. I did this myself and it worked perfectly... until I added
support for an usb mouse. It then stopped to function again and I now
have to physically pull out the network card and put it back in again
before manually running /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start. Annoying!