Martin Gramatke wrote:

> Susie wrote:
>
>> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
>> [blocks B    ] media-libs/quicktime4linux (from pkg
>> media-libs/libquicktime-0.9.2_pre1)
>> [ebuild    U ] net-www/mozilla-firebird-0.6-r6 [0.6-r5] +java +gtk2
>> - -ipv6
>> [blocks B    ] >=x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r2 (from pkg
>> x11-libs/xft-2.0.1-r2)
>> [ebuild    U ] dev-perl/libwww-perl-5.69-r1 [5.69]

> I get something similar, after each emerge -upD world:
>
> [blocks B    ] media-libs/libquicktime (from pkg
> media-libs/quicktime4linux-1.5.5-r1)
> [blocks B    ] media-libs/quicktime4linux (from pkg
> media-libs/libquicktime-0.9.2_pre1)

I found the cause of my quicktime trouble. There is a USE flag 'quicktime'.
When you set it, 'emerge -u world' emerges libquicktime and quicktime4linux
automatically. On the other side there must have been an update of these
packages that marks the other one as exclusive alternative. I hope this
helps you a bit with one your problems.
Why xfree 4.3.0 is blocked by xft, I don't know. Maybe this is some kind of
progress and xfree doesn't tolerate that freetype library any more. I don't
have it anyway. Possibly you simply remove xft.

mg