I've been working on getting a solid guide together for implementing a
bootable Gentoo system on the FastTrak 376 (Promise PDC20376)
software-based RAID/S-ATA controller. So far, I have been able to do a
complete install flawlessly with the drivers at acceptable disk transfer
speeds.

However, I have hit a bit of a snag. I'm able to boot to a live system
with the kernel and modules copied from the LiveCD, and a homemade
initrd for loading the ft3xx module. It runs at acceptable speeds and
seems perfectly stable. However, with any other (home built) kernel,
I've been getting extremely slow (PIO) speeds from the drives on the
FastTrak controller. This renders the system unusable, obviously, as
booting takes at least 5 minutes (for starting up minimal services).

I've installed my own kernels and have used the genkernel script (using
the /proc/config from the LiveCD's kernel) to try and get a working
kernel homemade, but so far I've been unsuccessful. If anyone has any
insight to offer, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has
done this before and can offer advice as to building the ft3xx
(half-open source, it seems) module into the kernel proper, it would be
even more appreciated, as that would eliminate the need for an initrd
altogether.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

- Bryan D. Stine