Craig Main wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a firewall solution that can block traffic based on file type,

I thing it's hardly posible to do it on kernel firewal,
without havy patching the kernel, because normaly
are checked only headers of packets, not its content.

But for sure it's possible to write such firewal on aplication level.
(But still it can hardly work on secure = encoded connections)

Try emerge squid (together with std. firewall)

and I am also looking for a solution to get stats for type of traffic
traversing a firewall (ie: smtp, pop, imap, http....etc)

Try emerge iptraf (it's not firewall dependent)

noro