I am not at home right now but I believe my kernel was compiled for a 386. I
changed it to a Celeron (Coppermine) , recompiled and according the the log
for X it seems that DRI is now working.

angus proc # cat config | grep CMPX
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y

if CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=n then I think i would have a problem.

CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG is set to N if you select a 386 and Y if you select any
thing else.

But maybe I am wrong I will only know for sure when I get home.

Rob